Thursday, February 26, 2009

Building Sibley Day



I know when the concept of Sibley Day was announced, there was a portion of the student body who thought: No School? Sweet. Wait, you want me to attend a seminar? Yeah right. I was not one of those people. I thought the concept was a wonderful idea and I planned on attending several activities.

I ended up attending two. The first was a lecture on making the most out of a resume. That was helpful (no, I’m not being sarcastic, it really was a good use of my time.) The second one was less clear on the pamphlet: “Art - a found objects sculpture happening.” I didn’t know what it was about, but I knew it was about art, therefore, I would like it.

It was outside by the flag pole near Roemer. When I approached the spot, there were several people securing a wooden arch to the ground. Next to it was a large assortment of random objects: traffic cones, computer parts, toys, decorations, wire, bike parts, a sink, plastic bottles, pipes, etc. The small crowd of art majors that had gathered was overjoyed when we were told we were all going to make our own sculptures with the objects and attach them to the wooden arch.

Everyone scrambled around nailing and cutting and wiring things together. I spent a good portion of my time sculpting a fisherman out of a tennis ball and a Dr. Pepper bottle. After attaching it to a lifejacket that was already nailed to the arch, I helped other artists with their projects.

The small crowd of artists grew larger as the time went by. We even attracted a fairly decent crowd of spectators. Working on this sculpture was so exciting. I was happy to be a part of it. I thought making this, and working with my hands was much better than sitting in a seminar. I’m not saying the seminars were bad. Many of them sounded interesting, but coincided with the sculpture time. I really felt like I was celebrating Sibley Day to the fullest by participating in this event. And every time I walk past that glorious arch, I feel a sense of pride knowing I put I piece of myself into it.
My own contribution: Tennis Ball Fisherman

No comments:

Post a Comment